For youth workers
Resources for those working with young people
So many of our young people are apathetic to the gospel. How do we help engage them? Ruth Jackson speaks about how we can use digital media to reach young people
Here are some books which you, as youth workers, may find helpful:
Meet Generation Z: Understanding and reaching the new post-christian world by James Emery White. This book lays out some characteristics of the emerging generation and helps readers rethink evangelistic and apologetic methods in light of this.
Apologetics For A New Generation by Sean McDowell (General Editor)
Sticky Faith, Youthworker Edition by Dr Kara E Powell, Brad M Griffin and Dr Cheryl A Craford
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller. This book addresses the frequent doubts that non-believers bring to religion.
Tactics by Greg Koukl is a helpful guide to communicating the gospel message to others, particularly by using questions.
Here are some big questions that you might want to use with young people who have specific objections to the Christian faith:
- Why does God hate my gay friend?
- If God forgives everything does it matter what I do?
- Will my Muslim friend go to hell?
- Will my pets be in heaven?
- What about dinosaurs?
- Can you prove God exists?
- If God made everything, who made God?
- How could a good God send people to hell?
- Do ghosts exist?
- If 'God is love', why are there so many natural disasters?
- Was Mary really a virgin?
For more, click here.
Here are some adaptable meeting guides from Premier Youth and Children's Work magazine that you may find helpful. They are predominantly aimed at a Christian youth group so you may need to tweak them for use in another context:
- God and Science
- Why should I trust the Bible?
- Proofs for God
- What happens to me if Allah is the only true God?
- Is God different in the Old and New Testaments?
- Does God hate sex?
- Do pedophiles go to heaven?
Here are some ready-to-use discussion starters that you may find helpful. Again, they are predominantly aimed at a Christian youth group so you may want to edit accordingly:
Here are some suggested resources for use in schools’ work:
You may find Premier Youth and Children's Work magazine’s music and movie resources helpful when engaging your young people with some of life’s big questions: